It can also get you fired.
guarantee that information posted on Facebook is private, and read as
Risks inherent in sharing information. Although we allow you to set
privacy options that limit access to your information, please be aware that
no security measure are perfect or impenetrable. We cannot control the
actions of other users with whom you share your information. We cannot
guarantee that only authorized persons will view your information. We
cannot ensure that information you share on Facebook will not become
In the end, each of us is responsible for the words we print — on paper, in email, or on social media or other websites; choose those words carefully.
- the full text of the arbitration: “Canada Post Corp. and C.U.P.W. (730-07-01912) (2012)” [PDF].
- Facebook’s current “Data Use Policy” (see especially the section on “Sharing and Finding You on Facebook”)
- UVic’s “Acceptable Use of Electronic Information Resources” (especially if you are using a workplace computer or the UVic network.)
- the CUPE Equality Statement
If you have any questions or concerns about this issue don’t hesitate to contact a steward.
image credit: CC-BY Jason Howie “Instagram and Other Social Media Apps“
- Emergency Preparedness Week
- Domestic Violence Survey