In the event of snow or extreme weather visit the UVic home page for information. The university will use the website to inform the campus community about service disruptions, class cancellations, campus closures and safety precautions. Information will also be posted on the university’s Facebook page and Twitter.
Campus Closure Notification
As a general rule, if the BC Transit bus system is operating and buses are travelling to and from the university, the university will remain open. UVic only interrupts regular operations under exceptional circumstances. In the event of adverse weather that results in closure of the UVic campus, information will be posted at UVic.ca and on the university’s Facebook page and Twitter.
- When extreme weather is predicted or occurring, check the UVic home page for any weather advisories.
- Wear appropriate clothing, including footwear suitable for the conditions. Stay visible.
- Allow extra travel time. Use main routes as these will be cleared first.
- Use the main entrances to campus buildings. These will be cleared of snow and ice first.
- Report unsafe conditions to Campus Security
- Be patient. Facilities Management staff will work as quickly as possible to clear snow and ice according to campus priorities. If working alone familiarize yourself with the Campus Alone program.
Snow Response Plan
The UVic Facilities Management department is responsible for managing the response to snow and ice. The university uses a response plan that identifies and prioritizes roadways, accessibility and high priority pathways, building entrances, emergency fire lanes, the campus bus loop and parking areas for snow removal.
Snow Clearing Priorities Maps
- Black History Month – Celebrating Lives, Fighting for Justice
- In the event of a UVic closure